A swimming pool comes with the responsibility of cleaning and maintaining it. The best tool for cleaning your pool is a pool vacuum cleaner, such as a suction side vacuum, a pressure side vacuum, or a handheld pool vacuum.
Whatever pool vacuum model you choose, make sure it can meet the cleaning requirements of your swimming pool. That means that it should be able to handle cleaning all the relevant parts of the pool.
This article compares three handheld vacuums, which include the Zodiac MX6 Automatic (Suction-Side), Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 (Pressure-side), and the Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 (handheld).
Keep reading to learn more, and we hope that our editor’s choice will interest you.
Suction-Side vs Pressure-Side vs Handheld Pool Vacuums Comparison Table
|Features||The Zodiac MX6 Automatic||Polaris Vac-Sweep 280||Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10|
|Vacuum Type||Suction cleaning robot pool vacuum||Pressure side pool vacuum cleaner||Handheld pool vacuum cleaner|
|Pool Type||Aboveground and Inground pools||Inground swimming pools||Aboveground swimming pools|
|Pool Surfaces||Vinyl, concrete, tile, fiberglass||All pool surfaces||All pool surfaces|
|Warranty||One year||One year||One year|
Every pool owner has to come to terms with the responsibility of cleaning their pool. However, it has to be the best one capable of meeting all of your cleaning needs, just like our best pick.
Our top vacuum is the Zodiac MX6 automatic. The following are some of the features that make it stand out:
- The vacuum is an automatic robot cleaner that provides you with hands-free cleaning.
- It has a low-flow design that facilitates the consumption of less energy.
- It has cyclonic suction technology that enhances the suction power of the machine.
- It has X-Drive navigation that ensures efficient cleaning of your entire pool.
- It has a quick connection mechanism that enables easy connection of the vacuum head.
Suction-Side vs Pressure-Side vs Handheld Pool Vacuums
1. Zodiac MX6 Automatic (Best Pick)
The Zodiac MX6 is a suction-side automatic pool vacuum cleaner. It is an efficient, ultra-low robot pool vacuum. The low flow design enables the machine to consume less energy, making it suitable for pools with variable speed pumps, solar, and 2-speed pumps.
The robot vacuum consists of cyclonic suction, which provides powerful suction and enables aggressive wall climbing by the pool. The suction technology increases the suction power of the machine for a powerful breakup of debris and dirt.
The Zodiac MX6 Automatic has an X-drive navigation, which is an intelligent bi-directional navigation system that enables efficient cleaning of your pool’s walls, waterline, and floor. The navigation works as the machine’s brain that helps it navigate obstacles around the pool.
The machine has a flex power turbine that articulates turbine blades that enable it to operate efficiently even on low-flow pumps. It has an easy-grip handle that enhances the ease of transportation and removal.
The Zodiac MX6 Automatic consists of a quick connect mechanism that enables you to quickly connect the attachment to the vacuum’s head. The twist-lock head enables simple connection and reduces vacuum loss.
The robot vacuum is designed for small-to-medium-sized pools that are no deeper than six feet. The unit is self-propelled and cleans your pool in a sweeping pattern with 360-degree directional changes.
The Zodiac MX6 Automatic has a dual tank, a single scrubber assembly, and a single side A air box. The vacuum has a quiet operation and easily fits with hoses to prevent stripped teeth, and can work with as little as 25 gallons per minute.
The machine has an X-Track rugged design that provides you with extreme maneuverability and climbing.
- Brand: Zodiac.
- Model Name: MX6.
- Surface: Vinyl, concrete, fiberglass, and tile.
- Material: Plastic.
- Weight: 6.54 pounds.
- The vacuum has a low-flow design efficiency.
- It has a clip attachment that prevents stripping.
- An easy-grip handle for quick removal
- It has cyclonic suction that kicks up debris and dirt from your pool’s bottom.
- It has X-Drive navigation for thorough cleaning.
- A twist-lock hose for easy connection and reduction of vacuum loss.
- The vacuum has one directional gear.
2. Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 (Second Best)
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 is a pressure-side pool cleaner that is suitable for all inground pools. It scrubs and sweeps the walls and bottom of your inground pool, but it requires a dedicated booster, which is purchased separately.
The machine is powered by double jets that offer greater power and quick cleaning. The venturi jets allow the machines to easily maneuver around the floors and walls of your pool for effective and swift cleaning.
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 has a single chamber filter bag that captures large debris and small to large debris. The unique filter bag eliminates debris before reaching the filter or pump basket. The bags enable a longer filter cycle, which enhances the durability of the vacuum.
The pool vacuum has a three-wheel iconic design that enhances the machine’s ability to navigate effortlessly around obstacles while covering all angles of your pool. The machine connects easily to a dedicated line to scrub, sweep, and vacuum all the surfaces of your pool.
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 connects to the dedicated pressure line from your pool’s side and therefore requires a booster pump for operation. The vacuum utilizes an idler wheel and a narrow shaft drive mechanism to provide the machine wheel with a forward drive.
The units go into back-up mode every three minutes, pulling the cleaner away from obstacles, therefore increasing the machine’s randomized patterns. The tail scrubber and the sweep hose assist in loosening dirt in hard-to-reach and difficult areas.
The vacuum cones have a hose that is 31 feet long, hose floats, a sweep hose, and swivels. Other components include an in-line filter assembly, a backup valve, an all-purpose zippered bag, and a quick disconnect with universal wall fitting.
- Brand: Polaris.
- Style: Cleaner.
- Surface: all surface types.
- Material: Plastic.
- Weight: 6.2 pounds.
- The pool vacuum is powered by double jets that clean your pool faster.
- It gives your pool full coverage.
- It works on all inground pools, no matter the size or shape.
- It scrubs, sweeps, and vacuums the walls and floors of your pool.
- It has a single filter chamber for capturing large and small debris.
- The booster pump is bought separately.
3. Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 (Best Handheld)
The Pool Blaster Fusion is a cordless handheld pool vacuum cleaner. The machine sucks up leaves, dirt, and debris easily from your aboveground pool without cord limitation.
The Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 is a battery-powered pool vacuum that runs on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It provides you with 45 minutes of suction power per single charge.
The machine is lightweight and convenient due to its lightweight and sleek design. The machine is easy to maneuver and versatile for large swimming pools.
The Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 has an extra-large reusable filter bag that collects leaves and dirt. The filter bag is easy to clean, so there are no worries about replacement bags.
The vacuum comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Brand: Blue wave.
- Style: Cleaner.
- Surface: Aboveground pools.
- Material: Plastic.
- Weight: 3.9 pounds.
- The vacuum is cordless, eliminating cord limitations.
- It is battery-powered and lasts for 45 minutes.
- It is convenient and lightweight.
- It has a reusable filter bag.
- It efficiently and quickly eliminates debris from your swimming pool.
- You have to hold the vacuum in your hand while cleaning the pool.
Differences: Suction-Side v Pressure-Side vs Handheld Pool Vacuums
- Structure and design.
- Working mechanism.
- Intended purpose.
- Pros and cons.
1. Structure and design: The Zodiac MX6 has a leading-edge low-flow design, which is engineered to consume less energy. The Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 has a compact, rugged design which enables it to provide you with maximum performance.
The Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 has a lightweight and compact design, making it easy to handle and use.
Winner: The Zodiac MX6.
2. Working mechanism: The Zodiac MX6 suction cleaner works by sucking water to the pump since it’s got a mechanism that allows sand, dirt, and dust to pass through it.
Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pressure side vacuum work by pushing water to the cleaner propelling it along the pool of the floor and at times on the walls of the pool.
The pressured water creates a venturi vacuum that cleans the pool. The venturi effect causes debris and leaves into a net, catch bag, or screen.
Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 works by sucking debris, leaves, and dirt, which are then collected in a reusable filter bag.
Winner: Polaris Vac-Sweep 280.
3. Intended purpose: The Zodiac MX6 is ideal for pools with variable speed bumps and pools with 2 speeds. The Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 is suitable for inground pools of all surfaces and sizes.
For surfaces, it can clean fiberglass, vinyl, pebble, gunite, and tile. The Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 has been designed for above pool grounds.
Winner: The Zodiac MX6.
4. Price: The Zodiac MX6 costs slightly over $300, the Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 is priced at around $600, while the Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 is a little over $200, all listed according to Amazon.
Winner: Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10.
5. Pros & cons: The advantages of the Zodiac MX6 include a low flow design efficiency, a clip attachment that prevents stripping, and an easy-grip handle for quick removal.
It has cyclonic suction that kicks up debris and dirt from your pool’s bottom, X-Drive navigation for a thorough cleaning, and a twist-lock hose for easy connection and reduction of vacuum loss. The con is that the vacuum has one directional gear.
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 advantages include double jets that clean your pool faster and give your pool full coverage. It works on all inground pools no matter the size or shape.
It scrubs, sweeps, and vacuums the walls and floors of your pool and has a single filter chamber for capturing large and small debris. The con is that the booster pump must be bought separately.
The Pool Blaster Fusion PV-10 cons include eliminating cord limitation; it is battery powered, which lasts for 45 minutes; it is convenient and lightweight; it has a reusable filter bag, and it efficiently and quickly eliminates debris from your swimming pool.
The con is that you have to hold the vacuum in your hand while cleaning the pool.